Rogers has launched their latest addition to the Android family of phones – X10 Mini, and the smaller brother to the flagship X10 smartphone form Sony Ericsson. The claim is that the Mini is the smallest phone on the market today. I haven’t played with one personally, so I can’t say if that’s true or not. The pictures make the phone look thick – so it might smallest in terms of height and width, but I don’t think it’s the case in terms of depth.
The Mini features a quad-band GSM radio – 850/900/1800/1900, and a tri-band HSPA radio – 850/1900/2100. Which means you’ll have strong cellular reception and fast data on this small device. Everything else on the Mini has been reduced to follow with the theme of the phone – a 5.0 megapixel camera instead of the 8.1 found on the original X10. Same for the memory, the Mini sports a whopping 128MB compared to the 1GB found on it’s big brother. Keep in mind that the price follows the same trend – the X10 is $549.99 off contract, and the Mini is $374.99. When you add in a 3 year contract, the phone is just $29.99, which is a pretty reasonable price.
Sadly, much like the original X10, this device is also running the older Android 1.6 operating system. Google has released 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 is starting to make it’s way to devices. Sony Ericsson needs to get an update for these devices out the door quickly and get them on a newer version of Android.
Aside from the thickness of the device, it looks like a great little device. I’m interested in seeing how well Sony Ericson was able to take their customizations from the X10 and scale them down to the Mini. We have received a Mini for review and Darren will be sharing his thoughts on the device.
The full press release is available after the break.
TORONTO, July 22 /CNW/ – Sony Ericsson welcomes the Xperia(TM) X10 mini to Canada, the newest addition to the Xperia(TM) handset family. The Xperia(TM) X10 mini is the world’s smallest* Android smartphone and builds on the introduction of the Sony Ericsson’s Xperia(TM) X10 in April, the most successful Android launch in Canada to date. This compact, stylish and powerful smartphone is available now, exclusively from Rogers Communications.
“The Xperia(TM) X10 mini is defining a whole new category of smartphones. It has innovative smartphone technology in a compact package that provides an attractive and feature-rich alternative to the larger smartphones available,” said Andrea Gaal, General Manager, Sony Ericsson Canada. “The handset is about the height and width of a credit card, while still offering the best-in-class performance consumers have come to expect from smartphones. We are excited to offer a compact smartphone that enables users to experience the best in communication, entertainment and social media networking.”
“Our customers are looking for new, efficient ways to stay connected with their friends and families. And with the launch of the Sony Ericsson Xperia(TM) X10 mini, we’re bringing our customers just what they are looking for. We’re excited to welcome this, the smallest Android smartphone in the world, to Rogers’ Social View series of devices,” says Raj Doshi, VP, Mobile Product Management, Rogers Communications, Inc. “As the first in Canada to launch Android products, we’re committed to continuing to evolve our Android offerings to enhance the experience for our customers.”
The stylish design of the Xperia(TM) X10 mini, combined with touch navigation optimized for compact screens, offers users the easiest way to connect and communicate with one hand. The X10 mini offers a graphical user interface with intuitive navigation and a capacitive touchscreen that opens up limitless possibilities and access to favourite applications(1) and web links(1) with just one touch.
– Four corner touch – users can customize the four corners of their screen according to the applications they use the most, from emailing(1), to taking pictures to sending text messages(2).
– Sony Ericsson’s Timescape(TM) application automatically brings together all recent mobile communication and organizes social interactions in chronological order on one screen. From Facebook(TM) and Twitter(TM) updates(1) to missed calls and SMS messages(2). A 3D scrolling menu offers easy viewing and organization of previews, or full views. Press the infinite button to access all of your communications with one person in one place.
– 5 megapixel camera and video – share creations via the web with the Quick Facebook(TM)(1) and Quick YouTube(TM)(1) applications. The auto focus, geo tagging, photo and video light features enable the user to capture all their favourite moments while on-the-go.
– Music player access the world of music with links to YouTube(TM)(1) and stream and play videos(1). Also features FM radio Bluetooth(TM) stereo (A2DP)(3).
– Android platform – with Google(TM) services including Gmail(TM)(4), Google Maps(TM) with Street view(5), Google Search Widget(4), Google Talk(TM)(4) and thousands of apps from Android Market(TM)(4).
The Xperia(TM) X10 mini, offered in black, comes equipped with two back covers in pink and lime green in the box. It is available now exclusively from Rogers starting at $29.99 on select voice and data plans.
* “Smallest” defined as the product of height x width. Based on phones available for purchase on the market as of April 28th, 2010.
(1) Internet connection required. Data charges may apply.
(2) Standard messaging charges apply.
(3) Compatibility and interoperability of Bluetooth(TM) devices vary.
(4) The service is currently provided courtesy of Google(R), and is
subject to change or terminate without notice.
(5) The online map service is currently provided courtesy of Google(R),
and is subject to change or terminate without notice. Map detail is
limited in some areas.
(C) Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2010.
The Liquid Identity and Liquid Energy logos, XPERIA, and Timescape are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony and “make.believe” are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal/disclaimer.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
About Rogers Communications:
Rogers Communications is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada’s largest provider of wireless voice and data communications services and one of Canada’s leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet and telephony services. Through Rogers Media we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, and sports entertainment. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A – News and RCI.B – News) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI – News). For further information about the Rogers group of companies, please visit http://www.rogers.com/.