Today Microsoft announced a new version of the Facebook app was released to the Marketplace. Who doesn’t want an updated Facebook experience? The marketplace will automatically notify you of any updates. But when I hit up the market, there was no updates listed for me. The reason is because the market will automatically check for updates to installed apps on a given schedule. So you may not be notified at the exact same time as your friend.
So the problem is that you know there’s a cool new update, and you’re friends are all raving about it. How can you get this when the marketplace says there is nothing? Thanks to Johan over at MobilityMinded.com, there’s a simple little hack that works – most of the time – and lets you get the update without waiting.
Here’s how it works:
- Launch the Marketplace and search for the app in question
- Tap on the app in the search results to bring up the details about the app
- You should see “Share” as the only option in the bottom bar
- Press the back button to return to your search results
- Once again, tap on the app in question to open the details page for the app
- This time, you should see an “Update” button alongside the “Share” button in the bottom bar
- Tap on the “Update” button and you are on the way to installing the new version!
And that’s all there is to it. Enjoy!